What is meditation?
Meditation is a state of deep peace that occurs when the mind is calm and silent. It allows you to be ‘in the moment’, the mind body and soul can balance and self healing can begin. Gassho Meditation is a form of meditation taught to Reiki Level 1 students. Dr. Usui taught this form of meditation to his Reiki students as the first pillar of Reiki.
What is Gassho?
Gassho means “two hands coming together”and is a mudra (a specific hand position as a spiritual gesture) from Buddhist tradition. It teaches the art of quieting the mind and creating single pointed focus in meditation. The hands are placed together in prayer position with thumbs pointing in towards the heart chakra a few inches from your chest. This hand position is used in many different cultures and religions during prayer. However, whereas prayer is about speaking to a deity, meditation is about quieting the mind to listen.
How to practice Gassho Meditation
- Find a place where it is quiet and you will not be disturbed for 15-20 minutes.
- Sit on the floor in the lotus position (legs crossed) or seiza position (kneel down and sit back on your lower legs). If more comfortable you can sit on a chair.
- Close your eyes and place your hands in the Gassho position – hands together in prayer position, fingers pointing up and thumbs against your heart chakra.
- Focus on your breathing – natural and unforced, in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Whilst breathing, touch your palate with your tongue just behind your top front teeth. This connects the front and back energy channels called Meridians.
- If you are attuned to Reiki, connect to the Reiki energy.
- Clear your mind and focus on the space between your palms. If thoughts come into your mind, simply acknowledge them then let them pass. Refocus your mind by pressing the middle fingers together and concentrating on the space between the palms.
- If your arms or shoulders become uncomfortable, allow your hands to come down gradually to rest in your lap. Keep your hands together together and remain focussed on the contact point of the middle finger tips and your palms.
- When you reach the end of your meditation, take a couple of deep breaths and open your eyes. Close any Reiki flow and slowly stand up.
Practice this meditation for 10-15 minutes a day if you can, though even 5 minutes is beneficial. As you get used to meditating you will be able to extend the period of time should you wish.
Elysian Holistic Therapies Copyright © 2016