Botanical name: Origanum marjorana
Plant origin: dried leaves / flowering heads of herb
Method of extraction: steam distillation
Aroma: woody, spicy, mildly campherous,warming and penetrating
Odour intensity: medium
Blends well with: Bergamot, Cedarwood, Chamomile, Cypress, Lavender, Mandarin, Orange, Nutmeg, Rosemary, Rosewood, Ylang Ylang
Marjoram is a powerful muscle relaxant to both the mind and body. It has a soothing, warming and fortifying effect on disorders of the muscular, nervous and respiratory systems.
Marjoram was popular with ancient Greeks who used it to treat spasm and excess fluid in the tissues. It was also thought to be a valuable antidote against poison.
Analgesic (pain relief), antiseptic, antispasmodic (relieves cramps), antiviral , carminative (relieves flatulence), cephalic (stimulates and clears mind), cordial (heart tonic), digestive (aids digestion), emmenagogue (induces / assists menstruation), expectorant (removal of excess mucus), hypotensive (lowers blood pressure), laxative, nervine (beneficial effect on nervoous system, calms nerves), rubefacient (warms by increasing local blood flow / circulation), sedative (calming), vulnerary (helps to heal wounds and sores).
– Calming effect on nervous system.
– Relieves anxiety and stress.
– Helpful for depression.
– Warming effect on the emotions.
– May be comforting in times of grief and loneliness.
– Particularly effective for muscular aches, stiffness and joint pain.
– May help with rheumatic and arthritic pain.
– Helps to dilate the arteries and capillaries, promoting easier blood flow and a sense of warmth.
– Thought to lower high blood pressure.
– A good tonic for the heart.
– Effective on the digestive system and may help with stomach cramps, colic, indigestion, constipation and flatulence.
– Appears to have a beneficial action on coughs, colds and chest infections.
– May also be beneficial for asthma.
– Helps to alleviate congestion.
– Good for general headaches and migraines.
– Thought to be useful for regulating the menstrual cycle and relieving menstrual pain and tension.
– Good for bruises as promotes flow of blood
– Prolonged use can cause drowsiness
– Best avoided during pregnancy